Herbal Living UK presents: How to support your bodies natural immunity?
What is Immunity?
Immunity is referred to as ‘the state of being protected from the pathogens-disease causing microbes’. Our body’s immune system is responsible for destroying the pathogens that happen to enter our bodies. White blood cells present in our blood plasma is a critical component of our immune system. White blood cells consist of further specialized cells like T-lymphocytes, B-lymphocytes, natural killer cells, basophils, neutrophils, and eosinophils, and monocytes. All of these cells help in fighting disease-causing pathogens.
As soon as a pathogen enters our body, our immune system initiates a defensive response. First of all, the pathogen is recognized by wandering T helper cells. After successful identification, the T helper cells are stimulated and help protect the host by; undergoing rapid multiplication, releasing cytokines that turn dormant macrophages into aggressive pathogen killers, forming anticytotoxic T cells that kill the pathogen hosting cells along with the pathogens, and directing the suitable B cells to the infection site for killing the microbe. The immune response ends with the destruction of pathogens and we are secured from the likely disease-thanks to our immune system. Immunity has two types; innate immunity and adaptive immunity.
What is Innate Immunity?
Innate immunity is the first line of immunity. It is the quick response of our immune system usually occurring within minutes. Innate immunity is general in its response and almost all animals and plants have innate immunity.
What is Adaptive Immunity?
On the contrary, adaptive immunity is specific to pathogens and it is only present in vertebrates only including humans. It has also a memory if pathogens of one disease are killed then upon their second entry; they are more rapidly killed-not allowing them to cause the disease. This is the reason why a person who has recovered from an infectious disease is unlikely to suffer from it again-thanks to adaptive immunity.
Immunity, whether it is innate or adaptive, helps you to stay healthy. Luckily, you can naturally support your immunity and strengthen your immune response. The following are some of the natural ways to support your immunity naturally.
How can stress effect your immune system?
For a long time, stress is known to harm the human immune system. During stress, a stress hormone (corticosteroid) is released which reduces the number of lymphocytes (T lymphocytes and B lymphocytes). In consequence, the pathogen recognition ability of the immune system is affected and the immune response is weakened.
So by staying positive and engaging in constructive activities, you can support your immunity naturally.
How does exercise help with your immunity?
Our era of technological innovations has provided us great comfort and we are now accustomed to our sedentary lifestyles. But sedentary lifestyles are weakening our immunity. So, for enhancing your immunity, you have to make a slight lifestyle change by daily exercising.
Regular exercise can strengthen your immunity in a variety of ways. First of all, exercise improves your blood circulation. With improved blood circulation the helper T cells are in a better position to find out pathogens and foreign microbes. Secondly, when you exercise regularly, the levels of your stress hormones are lowered and the soothing feeling is conducive for the health of your immune system.
Finally, regular exercise keeps the obesity epidemic at bay. Obesity impairs the immune response in a variety of ways like it decrease cytokine production, alter monocyte and lymphocyte function, and lowers down macrophage and dendritic cell function. A study has shown that regular and moderate exercise lowers the risks of upper respiratory tract infections (URTI) while lack of exercise leads to high risks of URTI.
What are the benefits of a balanced diet for immunity?
Eating a balanced and healthy diet is another way of naturally boosting your immunity. A balanced diet contains the entire essential nutrient in the right proportions to keep your body perform at optimal levels. A balanced diet contains carbohydrates, proteins, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, dietary fibers, and of course water.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are the major source of bodily energy which sustains the vital bodily processes like metabolism. Without carbohydrates, the metabolism in your white blood cells would not occur and therefore without carbohydrates, your immune system would not exist.
- Proteins: Proteins are a secondary source of bodily energy. In the absence of carbohydrates; proteins are used for deriving energy. Besides, proteins are a critical component of various cells and tissues, for example, antibodies-a component of the immune system- is made up of proteins.
- Fats: Fats also serve as an energy source in the absence of carbohydrates and proteins. Fats are also part of body cells and tissues. Besides, fats also serve as a solvent for fat-soluble vitamins-the the natural immune boosters.
- Vitamins: Vitamins are the natural immune boosters. They help your immune system by neutralizing the harmful effects of free radicals (almost all vitamins), by facilitating wound healing (vitamin C) and by erecting barriers (vitamin A) against infectious pathogens.
- Minerals: Minerals in the balanced diet also affect your immunity positively. For example, zinc control inflammation, and selenium slows down the overactive immune responses.
- Dietary Fibers: Although dietary fibers are not directly related to the immune system it impacts our immunity indirectly. Dietary fibers improve digestion and make the vital nutrients like minerals and vitamins available to our body. It also helps us to get rid of metabolic waste.
- Water: Finally, water as a part of a balanced and healthy diet helps keep our immune system in an active state. Water helps in the production of the lymphatic fluid-a component of our immune system. It also flushes toxins and free radicals out of the body. Water also helps in digestion and thus helps to make essential nutrients available to the body.
What uses do Herbal Supplements have in supporting your immunity?
There are times in life when we all fall off the wagon on our healthy eating, or perhaps there are times when we feel the need to increase our immunity and natural responses to external pathogens. Should this be the case in your life a herbal supplement has been suggested to help the body in maintaining it’s internal balance.
Of course supplements are not a replacement for a healthy diet and exercise, they simply provide support and an extra source of vitamins and minerals, which can never be a bad thing. By taking a daily herbal supplement that works with your body as well as eating a healthy diet you can really give your body a head start when it comes to fighting off viruses and bacteria!
Of course, there is also the possibility that you will require supplements for your exercise regime. It is very common for athletes of all levels to use natural supplements in their training recovery regimes, as they add extra vitamins, minerals carbohydrates and proteins in a much more convenient method of consumption.
It is more than possible to find ranges of herbal sports supplements that provide other health advantages. By switching from a dairy based protein powder to a plant based one, you open your body up to a range of other health benefits that are not found through whey protein. The most obvious one would be the lack of bloating from the majority of plant based protein powders.
This bloating often leaves people feeling sluggish and of course there is the well know side effect of whey protein that can clear a room!
There are a range of herbal supplements on the market, it can be hard to know which is best, there is also a wide range of supplements containing different natural remedies that provide similar benefits. Because of this range of selection available. It can be hard to know which is the best one to choose from, we would love to take this opportunity to share with you some information on the products we stock here at Herbal Living.
All our products are from British Based Companies, and all of our products are certified organic. This means that you can be certain that during the growth, harvesting and preparation stages, there are no nasty chemicals involved. Ensuring that you are completely satisfied with your purchase requires the best quality products to be used.
By Choosing Herbal Living you join a part of a community, all of our customers receive weekly updates on the latest advice, news and guidance on all things health related! You’ll have a great source of information just a few key strokes away! We look forward to having you on board!
The immune system is essential for our survival. In the world of increasingly powerful microbes, we need a robust immune system. By following the discussed natural ways, we can make ourselves a bit safer.
Check Our Store for Discounted Herbal Supplements